Sometimes selling something on Etsy is a bittersweet experience. That goes for this apron I sold from my shop yesterday. I made it from a vintage tablecloth I bought at flea market a few years ago. I will write about the process another day. I made 4 aprons from the four corners, two with the chickens and lady, the other with a horse and buggy carriage. The other chicken apron I’m keeping, of course, but the two horse and buggy aprons are still for sale. Just click on the photo of it below to purchase.
Chicken Apron made from a hand stenciled vintage table cloth
All ready for cooking and baking!
This tablecloth was hand-stamped with a stencil, I believe. The other panel has slightly different colors.
Back view plus a peek at the cool Artfully Sew tag.
The process of making aprons from men’s shirts has been a learning experience! My design has evolved from a smocky apron to a farm-type apron to this type of traditional apron. All are unique and so fun to make!
This Pretty in Plaid Apron started once again with a Goodwill shirt I bought for the colors. The pocket is a corner of an embroidered tea towel set on point.
The pink trim and lace is from the bottom of my ribbon basket. The bodice looks very elegant.
The back has extra long ties to accommodate many sizes. I think I’m going to stick with this style for future aprons.
I’m still looking for opinions on appropriate prices for these aprons! What would you pay for a one-of-a-kind apron with embroidery and lace? Post your comments below.
I finished up a few more aprons yesterday. I keep tweeking the pattern as I go. They all turn out differently which keeps it fun. I really dislike making the exact same thing over and over again. That’s probably why I seldom use the same pattern twice! Here’s the first one:
Apron of Falling Leaves
This apron is made from one of my hubby’s worn out work shirts. The color is very nice, so I cut it up and used the back of the shirt for the front of the apron. With the leaves falling outside as my inspiration, I matched up an embroidered tablerunner to use as the pocket. The pockets are accessed through the side instead of the top. In fact it’s just one big pocket, nice and generous in size. Isn’t the edging on this embroidered piece gorgeous?
The other side of the tablerunner will be saved for a future apron. After cutting the pockets, a nice sized middle section was left over. I couldn’t waste that beautiful crocheted remnant! By cutting it in half and sewing the edges together I created a nice skirt edging for the bottom of the apron. It felt a bit bottom heavy, so I found some leaf-like lace in my scrap bin that matched the leaves in the embroidery.
The back of this apron has a tie and suspender type straps. I’m hoping that this style will accommodate many sizes. The straps are made from the sleeves from the shirt as usual.
This photo also shows off my recently made dress form I constructed from chicken wire, a wooden hanger, a broom handle and the base of a broken office chair. It’s become a very handy tool in my studio! Check out the post here to see how i made it.
Now the apron feels finished and happy. I will post more aprons throughout the week.
What is a good price for handmade one-of-a-kind aprons? What would you pay for this apron? Let me know you opinion below. Thanks!
Artfully Sew has moved!
Don’t worry, you can still read the post. Just click the the picture below to go to my new website. Hope you stop in!
This is so fun! I transformed another extra-large men’s dress shirt from Goodwill into a farmy apron. The lace came from my bin of scraps. The process is getting easier, now that I’ve got the hang of it.
I tried something new with this one. For the straps I kept the sleeves as they were and attached them to the back, cuffs and all. All I have left is adding the buttons and holes.
Off to the Janome!
I stopped by Goodwill the other day and picked up a couple of extra large men’s dress shirts for $2.50 a piece. I’m usually there on a hunt for vintage tablecloths and embroidered treasures, but when none turned up I hit the clearance rack. The shirts just begged to be up-cycled, so I tossed them in my cart and took them home. I love the smocky look and the way they almost feel like I’m wearing a dress or an old-fashioned pinafore. I swear I could have been born in an earlier era!
(Jazzy, my black lab, is posing with me.) I used a contrasting shirt for the pocket and part of the back straps.
I converted the sleeves from the shirt as the straps that button to the front of the apron. I finally get to dive into that button stash!
In true Artfully Sew fashion, I added a cutesy flower and blanket stitched around the outside.
Now off to make another one!